The panoramas listed below are all part of the “Look Around Redlands” special collection. If you are on a desktop, laptop, or tablet, we recommend you view them there. If you are using a small screen mobile device, though, the links below may be easier to navigate than the story map.

 

 

asistencia

 

The Asistencia

3 panoramas

A replacement for a nearby outpost of the Mission San Gabriel, the Asistencia was incomplete in 1833 when the Mission system ended. In 1842, it was acquired by the Lugo family, Californio cattle ranchers with a land grant to the San Bernardino valley. In 1851 the Asistencia passed to Mormon pioneers founding San Bernardino. In 1859, the Mormons were recalled to Utah and Dr. Ben Barton purchased the property. He resided there until his "Barton Villa" was constructed in 1867. After falling into ruins, the Asistencia was reconstructed by the WPA during the 1930s.

[Learn more]    [Learn more]

 

 

 

barton_villa

 

The Barton Villa

1 panorama

The oldest house in Redlands, the Barton Villa was built in 1867 by Dr. Ben Barton. Barton was an early settler of the Redlands area. Born in South Carolina in 1823, he migrated west over the years until he ended up in the San Bernardino valley in the 1850s. He resided at the neighboring Asistencia for a time, before building the Villa. The house was expanded and revised over the fifteen years that followed its initial construction, leading to its current "second empire" style.

[Learn more]     [Learn more]

 

 

ob014_thumb

The Eternal Flame

1 panorama

An Eternal Flame burns at the Veterans Memorial in Redlands California. It pays tribute to the residents of the city who gave their lives serving in our nation’s wars, protecting our freedom and way of life. Their names are inscribed in honor on the curved wall behind the central monument. The main memorial was built in 1972, with the flame being added in 1988.

 

In 2008, the Widows and Orphans Memorial was put in place. This memorial is a statue of a woman and child holding a folded flag. It is the work of the artist Linda Pew. Sadly, in July 2016, the statue of the woman was stolen by thieves. The Redlands Daily Facts reports, however, that talks are already under way to commission a replacement if the original is not recovered.

 

 

 

ford_park

 

Ford Park

1 panorama

Ford Park offers tennis courts, a dog park, and two beautiful lakes.

 

 

 

heritage_park

 

Heritage Park

3 panoramas

Heritage Park, one of Redlands newest parks, is home to one of its older structures, the 1901 Barton School House. Originally located a few miles away, it was moved to the park as part of an effort to preserve the historic building. Also found in the park are a series of inscribed boulders commemorating various aspects of the city's history.

 

 

 

israel_beal_park

 

Israel Beal Park

1 panorama

Israel Beal Park is a community park on the north side of Redlands which offers both recreational opportunities and fine views of the San Bernardino mountains. It is named after one of Redlands' founding pioneers whose many contributions to the city's early development helped make Redlands what it is today. Israel Beal was born a slave in 1848 Virginia but came West a free man after the Civil War. He reached California in 1865 via the arduous Panama route and worked as a miner for several years, including some time in Nevada and Arizona. In 1878, he settled down in the area that was to be Redlands, becoming one of its first residents, its first African American resident, and a valued member of the community throughout its early years.

 

 

 

kimberly_crest_thumb

 

Kimberly Crest

5 panoramas

Built back in 1897, Kimberly Crest is a Victorian mansion designed in the French “chateau” style. In 1905, it was purchased by John Alfred Kimberly (one of the founders of the Kimberly-Clark paper company). The house and grounds remained in the Kimberly family until 1979, when it was willed to the people of Redlands by Mary Kimberly Shirk. Since then the mansion and its serene Italian-style gardens have provided a truly unique and beautiful venue for many social gatherings and weddings. Regular tours are also offered to the public.

[Learn more]

 

 

 

lincoln_shrine

 

The Lincoln Shrine

4 panoramas

The Lincoln Memorial Shrine is a museum and educational center devoted to President Abraham Lincoln and the American Civil War. It was created and endowed in the 1930s by Robert Watchorn to honor President Lincoln and also as a memorial to his son Emory, who succumbed at a young age to health problems that arose from his service in the First World War.

 

The Shrine houses a comprehensive collection of books, manuscripts, and art work relating to President Lincoln and the Civil War. Their extensive archive includes rare pamphlets, newspapers, maps, photographs, coins, stamps, and other artifacts from the era. The Shrine regularly hosts fascinating exhibits which highlight various aspects of Lincoln’s life and the war.

[Learn more]

 

 

 

morey_mansion

 

The Morey Mansion

1 panorama

The Morey Mansion is just one of many beautiful Victorian-style houses that can be found in Redlands. It was built by David and Sarah Morey in 1890. David had been a ship builder in Northern California and his impressive woodworking skills can still be seen in many of the home's interior details. The Morey's were active members of the community in Redland's early formative years. Sadly, Sarah passed away in 1901 and David, overwhelmed with grief, later took his own life. Their legacy is the beauty of this wonderful home and it surely reflects the joy, imagination, and inspiration they felt as they helped establish Redlands as a city.

[Learn more]

 

 

 

oakmont_park

 

Oakmont Park

1 panorama

Besides being a pretty spot for a picnic, Oakmont Park is the gateway to the 340-acre Live Oak Preserve, also known as the Live Oak Canyon Open Space. The preserve has been managed by the Redlands Conservancy since the land acquisitions concluded in 2015. It includes the only remaining wild oak grove in the city. Miles of hiking trails running along both the ridges and the valley allow visitors to explore the preserve. Good views can be had of nearby San Bernardino Peak and, further in the distance, Mount San Jacinto.

[Learn more]

 

 

 

orange_blossom_trail

 

The Orange Blossom Trail

1 panorama

The Orange Blossom Trail is an urban walking path and bike trail that is under development in the city of Redlands. This panorama shows a completed section of the trail that crosses an old Southern Pacific railway bridge. This truss-style bridge was built back in 1902 and was used for many years on the rail line that connected Redlands with nearby San Timoteo Canyon.

[Learn more]

 

 

 

pp001_thumb

 

Panorama Point

1 panorama

Panorama Point is a scenic overlook located in Redlands, California. The snow covered peaks in the initial view form the backbone of the San Gorgonio Wilderness. Most prominent (from this perspective) is San Bernardino Peak (10,653 feet). To the right and almost hidden by the foreground ridge, is Mt San Gorgonio (“Old Greyback”), the highest peak in Southern California (11,503 feet).

 

The Panorama Point overlook was built by Redlands stone masons Luther W. Gist and Eligio Benzor back in the 1930s.

 

 

 

rb001_thumb

 

The Redlands Bowl

1 panorama

The Redlands Bowl is an outdoor amphitheater which was built in 1930 through the generosity of Florence and Clarence White. This beautiful venue hosts a variety of musical, theatrical, and community events, including the Redlands Summer Music Festival, which is reportedly the oldest free musical festival in the United States.

 

An inscription on the south-west wing conveys the good wishes of the White’s: “A thank offering for all who have made Redlands a good place to live in. Made by Clarence and Florence White. 1930.” The following words are inscribed on the north-east wing: “Work to keep us going. Joy to match the sorrow. Thought for a goodly sowing. Hope for a fair tomorrow.”

[Learn more]

 

 

 

redlands_theater_festival

 

The Redlands Theater Festival

1 panorama

For over three decades the Redlands Theatre Festival has offered exciting and entertaining summer performances under the stars in the beautiful Avice Meeker Sewall open air theater in Prospect Park.

[Learn more]

 

 

 

san_timoteo

 

San Timoteo Nature Sanctuary

1 panorama

This beautiful nature preserve spans about 200 acres of historic San Timoteo canyon. Hiking trails run its length and San Timoteo creek often serenades those who take the time to explore its expanses. The Redlands Conservancy manages this preserve and accurately describes it as “a place where both wildlife and human life can find refuge from the chaos of civilization”. The sanctuary includes a two mile stretch of trail that was dates to the early 1900s. This section, called the Carriage Trail, was created by Redlands’ notables, the Smiley Brothers, to shuttle visitors from Redlands down into the scenic canyon.

[Learn more]

 

 

 

santa_fe_depot

 

The Santa Fe Depot

1 panorama

Built in 1909 to replace an earlier simpler station erected about twenty years earlier, the Santa Fe depot served as a commercial hub for the orange business and the center for passenger travel for thirty years. Even though improved roads, buses, and inter-city trolleys gradually took away its business, it stands as a beautiful reminder of the days when Redlands was young and citrus was king.

[Learn more]

 

 

smiley_library

The Smiley Library

3 panoramas

Twin brothers Alfred and Albert Smiley were prominent citizens in Redlands' early history and helped shape the growing city into the one we know today. One of Albert's lasting contributions is the A. K. Smiley Library. It was dedicated in 1898 at a time when public libraries were a rare concept. Over a hundred years later it is still actively serving the community. Follow the hot link to view the library's entrance with its fascinating stone carvings. Another hot link near the entrance allows reading the building's historical marker. The A. K. Smiley Library is a California Registered Historical Landmark (Number 994).

[Learn more]

 

 

 

smiley_park

 

Smiley Park

1 panorama

Smiley Park hosts several major Redlands landmarks, including the Lincoln Shrine, the Redlands Bowl, and the Smiley library. Its less well known eastern end, shown in this panorama, is home to the Redlands 9/11 memorial, the Redlands Peace Garden, and the George Hinckley memorial. Also prominent in this view is the old Redlands City Hall with the Redlands Liberty Pole in the background.

 

 

 

sylvan_park

 

Sylvan Park

1 panorama

Whereas Heritage Park is one of Redlands' newest parks, Sylvan Park is one of its oldest. With expansive grassy lawns, tall mature trees, extensive picnic areas and a bandstand, Sylvan Park has hosted countless family outings and community holiday events.

 

 

 

university_of_redlands

 

University of Redlands

1 panorama

The University of Redlands was founded in 1907 with just 39 students making up its first class. Today, over 4,500 students a year receive a world-class education in one of its five schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Education, the School of Business, the School of Music, or the Johnston Center for Integrative Studies.

[Learn more]

 

 

zanja

 

The Zanja

1 panorama

This shallow ditch running along the southern edge of the University of Redlands holds a remarkable place in history. It is a portion of the Zanja, and it was here before the school, even before Redlands was conceived as a city. It was dug by Native Americans in 1819 using only primitive tools. It carried irrigation water many miles from Mill Creek to an outpost of the Mission San Gabriel. The water, still flowing many decades later, played a key role in the founding of the city.

[Learn more]     [Learn more]